Rated 4 out of
Good quality, features, especially for the money1. Ringlight/flash controls are intuitive and remarkably easy to use. It’s lightweight. The LEDs operate as a modelling light. For the money, it’s a great piece of kit.
2. No way to stop the LED light from coming on even in flash mode (although it does stay off until the shutter depressed.
3. No way to reliably control shutter speed unless in Manual. For example, in Aperture, the camera does not recognize that there is a flash unit attached to it. In aperture priority, this leads to everything being overexposed and having motion blur.
3a. In Manual mode, the exposure needs to be checked in the LED screen.
3b. In Auto, the shutter speed tended to be correct, but there was often substantial overexposure.
4. Activating only half of the ring reduced the amount of light on subject by half.
5. The ring light on the front of the lens has a tendency to rotate on its own, exacerbated by the stiffness of the connecting wire. However, this is an issue if trying to photograph with half the ring activated.
6. With just the light activated (no flash), the camera operates as if there was no flash: WYSWYG. However, this provides only half the illumination on the subject as compared to flash mode.
7. In Auto, the camera-top flash tried to activate but did not fire as it was blocked from fully opening by the large plastic ring holding the control module in place atop the camera.
8. Color balance is perfect.
9. To increase the amount of light reaching the CCD, lower the shutter speed, even in flash mode.
10. I was able to shoot a flower at f 22 in low ambient light conditions.
Date published: 2017-11-10
Rated 2 out of
Not so thrilled..."I guess this is an example of you get what you pay for. I am not that thrilled with this piece of kit. It has a predictably cheap feel to it. That is especially true of the battery storage latch which I treat with the utmost of tender loving care because it looks like it will break just by looking at it. To the product's credit, it hasn't yet. The adapter rings are my main beef. They are really difficult to get off. I currently have one I cannot separate from the filter. So beware. It works fine, and I have been able to experiment and get enough results to know I would like a more robust unit, but of another brand."
Date published: 2016-11-06
Rated 5 out of
A useful accessory for a small outlay"This an excellent accessory for the serious amateur who want to expand their range of photographic capabilities. It works well with a macro lens to capture extreme close ups without dominant shadows as as you would get from a standard on camera flash. I have used it to take photos of models and am pleased with the results. The other use I have made of this light is to add highlights into the eyes when doing family portraits.
The kit comes with a wide range of attachment rings to fit almost any lens. While a ring flash would be better and more powerful APUTURE LED RING FLASH AHL-HN100 NIKON provides reasonable alternative at a much lower price. A good bargain."