In 1932, sensing a shift in the business culture of the city that was still known to many as Hog Town, Harry decided to move closer to what he considered the city core and relocated to 63 Queen Street West. The new location had the added appeal of being a stone's throw from Bay Street, which was quickly becoming the financial capital of the city and the country. The store remained at this location until 1945. During this time the Steins lived at 1599 Bathurst Street, just north of St. Clair Avenue.
Sometime in the early 1940s, Gerald joined his father in the jewelry business. Becoming a certified gemologist and watchmaker gave the younger Stein the expertise he needed to help with the business.
In 1945, Harry and Gerald purchased a building located at 107 to 113 Queen Street West that had four retail shops and apartments upstairs. Henry & Company's new home was now 113 Queen Street West. This represented a big leap for the business; it was the first time the Steins had owned their own building. At the time, this stretch of Queen Street was anchored on the east end by a branch of the Toronto Dominion Bank and also boasted the famous Casino Theatre, a major attraction. Most of the rest of the block was taken up with secondhand goods stores and pawn shops.
It was during this time that Gerald married Adele Bernholtz on July 9, 1943.
From 1945 until 1958 the store was run by father and son, Harry and Gerald, and sold watches and jewellery both new and secondhand. They also repaired watches and dealt in secondhand goods including every once in awhile a camera or two.
As the business grew, so did the family. Playing their part in the post-war baby boom, Gerald and Adele Stein had three children. Mari Lynn was born in 1946, followed by Andrew in 1949 and daughter Joanne in 1952.